Post Office Directory, 1878-79

SACKVILLE REACH
44 miles north-west of Sydney, in the district of Windsor

ASPERRY, John – Farmer
BOOKS, John – Farmer, Ulinbawn
BRADLEY, Gabriel – Farmer
COPPS, George – Carpenter
DUNSTAN, L. – Farmer, Rosehill Cot.
EVERINGHAM, M. – Farmer, Knight’s Retreat
GOTTS, John – Farmer, Sawyer’s Reach
HALL, George – Farmer, Lilburndale
HALL, John – Farmer, Lilburndale
HALL, Matthew – Farmer, Lilburndale
HALL, Thomas – Farmer, Lilburndale
JOHNSTON, G. – Farmer, Lilburndale
JOHNSTON, William – Farmer
KIRWAN, Colclough – Farmer
LEET, Robert – Storekeeper
MANNING, George – Farmer, Sawyer’s Reach
MORLEY, George – Farmer
MUSGROVE, T. – Farmer, Sawyer’s Reach
STEPHENS, James – Mason
STEPHENS, John – Mason
SOMMERVILLE, James Rev. (Wes)
STUBBS, J. – Farmer, Portland House
TUCKERMAN, Adolphus – Farmer
TUCKERMAN, P. – Farmer, Forest Hill
TURNBULL, Geo. Snr. – Farmer, Evansdale
TURNBULL, J. – Farmer, Mud Island
TURNBULL, John – Farmer, Mud Island
TURNBULL, Thos. – Farmer, Mud Island
WALL, Richard – Farmer
WATKINS, Francis – Farmer
WATKINS, James – Farmer
WHITE, Richard – Farmer
[SHRB.21]

Sackville North Public School

shrb09

Former Sackville North Public School Building [SHRB.14]

 An application for the establishment of a Public School at Sackville was received by the Council of Education in 1875. Built of sandstone with a teacher’s residence attached, the building was officially opened on the 25th January 1879 and today forms part of the Brewongle Environmental Education Centre. [SHRB.14]

“The Parsonage”

shrb50

The former Methodist Parsonage high up on the river bank overlooking the Sackville Reach [SHRB.06]

In 1875, tenders were advertised for the erection of a Wesleyan Parsonage at Sackville Reach. Built from sandstone c.1876, at a cost of upwards of £600, the Parsonage served as the Minister’s residence until the mid-1920’s when the site was sold to Mr. Scharkie for £750.  In 1905, extensive repairs to the building were undertaken by Mr. Greentree of the Lower Hawkesbury; with the shingled roof being stripped back and covered with iron, plaster ceilings removed and replaced with redwood and the walls kalsomined (whitewashed).

In January 1913, both the Methodist Church and Parsonage narrowly escaped being engulfed by a bush-fire. The Rev. Rudd, his son Selby and a visitor used water from an underground tank and a well to fight the flames, along with the Everingham brothers who arrived on the scene just as the fire was reaching the Church. Both buildings were saved, but the old parsonage, an earlier wooden home used by former ministers, was burnt to the ground. The Sackville School of Arts building and its entire contents was also lost. A news report in the Windsor and Richmond Gazette describes some of the fire damage suffered by the residents of Currency, Sackville, Ebenezer and Wilberforce :-
“M. Gill, wattle bark and fencing, £20 ; J. Tuckerman, shed and fencing £20 ; E. Fallick, fencing, £17; unoccupied slab hut and fencing, Ebenezer, £15 ; P. Bennett, unoccupied hut and shed, £60 ; R. Bennett, fencing, £5 ; R.H.H. Brown, lucerne stack and fencing, £80 ; A. Brown, shed containing hay and fencing, £140 ; W. Kemp, bees, citrus nursery, 2 pigs and fencing, £87 ; W. King, shed and fencing, £45 ; R.J. Holmes, fencing, £5 ; R. Hutchinson, 1 cow, damage to orchard, fencing, £40 ; J. Bradley, 16 head cattle, poultry, stable and fencing, £250 ; Mrs N. Hall, fencing, £200; D. Irwin, fencing, £150 ; S.A. Tuckerman, fencing, £60 ; J. Brown, fencing £25 ; J. Watkins, fencing, £10 ; Dr Fiaschi, fencing, shed, damage to vineyard, £420 ; J. Stephens, fencing, £60 ; A. Stephens, fencing and damage to orchard, £100 ; J. Bennett, fencing and damage to orchard, £200; L. Brown, fencing, £60 ; C.H. Britten, fencing, £25; A. Dunston, hayshed, dray and fencing, £65 ; Jos. Aspery, fencing and damage to orchard, £55 ; J. Noble, shed and furniture, £50 ; Sackville School of Arts, hall, piano, and furniture, £175 ; Rev. T.F. Rudd, stable, shed, sulky, buggy and harness, £45 ; Public School, Sackville, fencing, £10 ; G. Hastwell, bicycle and tools, £5 ; Gotts Bros, fencing, £10 ; Mitchell, fencing, £5. Amongst others who suffered loss were Messrs J. Teale, Wilberforce (the fire passing right over his property), and Messrs. J. V. Dunston, W. J. Reynolds and Packer, who lost stock. Happily no human lives were lost, though there were some narrow escapes. The flames swept over the residence of Mrs. Kemp, Senr., of Ebenezer, leaping along the tree tops. Some debris set fire to her bush house, and alone she fought the fire and put it out. The great heat overcame her and she was found unconscious by some neighbors when they went to see how she had fared. Mrs. Joseph Aspery, of Sackville, had a trying time. She was alone, and the fire came up to the house which was charred in some places …”  [SHRB.06]

Church of St. Thomas, Sackville

On the 4th January 1870, the laying of the foundation stone of the new church of St. Thomas at Sackville Reach was performed by the Right Rev. Dr. Barker, Bishop of Sydney; ably assisted by the Rev. W. Wood of Pitt Town, present pastor of the parish; the Rev. H.A Palmer, formerly of Pitt Town; the Rev. C.F. Garnsey and the Rev. J. Vaughan.

In an address by Mr. Stephen Tuckerman J.P., which was witnessed by many who attended on the occasion, reference was made to the previous church which was swept away in the devastating 1867 flood :

shrb75

Church of St. Thomas, Sackville Reach (2002)

“We are under the impression that your Lordship is aware of the adverse circumstances in which we have been placed with regard to our Church by the great and destructive flood of 1867, which swept away our church, the School-house, and teacher’s residence. Since that unfortunate event, divine service has been conducted in a temporary building wholly insufficient for the requirements of the congregation.  As our future prospects afford much encouragement, we have made an effort and have completed arrangements to commence the erection of a church, which your Lordship has kindly consented to lay the foundation-stone of this day ; and we feel persuaded that we shall, by perseverance and the blessing of God, be enabled to carry out the work to a successful completion”

A Building Committee had been formed and members included the Rev. W. Wood, as Chairman; Mr. Stephen Tuckerman, J.P., as Treasurer; Messrs. H. Campbell, Tristram Dunstan, E. Chatterton, J. Stephens, G.Bradley, C.H. Tuckerman, G. Manning, J. Davis, the Rev. H. A. Palmer, the Rev. H.S. King and John Stephens, builder.
The contract for the stonework was £233, of which £180 had already been raised, and it was estimated that a total sum of between £400-£450 would be needed to complete the building.

Just over twelve months later, on the 8th February 1871, the ceremony of the opening of St. Thomas Church at Sackville Reach took place. Although the weather had been very unpropitious for a week previously there were present on the occasion upwards of 200 persons from various parts of the district. The Very Rev. the Dean of Sydney, assisted by the Rev. W. Wood, officiated on the occasion. The morning service commenced at 11 o’clock precisely. The incumbent, the Rev. William Wood,  read the license of the Bishop to preach and also read the prayers; and the Dean preached an excellent and impressive sermon.  After the service the Holy Sacrament was administered to about thirty persons. The assemblage then retired to luncheon, at which there was a plentiful supply of the good things of the season. Previous to the commencement of the service at 3 o’clock, the Rev. W. Wood made a statement relative to the position of the church building fund. It appeared that the total cost for the completion of the church was £576 4s. 3d. The treasurer had received and paid over a considerable sum; and there was due from the Church Society a grant of £100, which was at once forthcoming; and he estimated that the balance to be provided to free the church from debt would be above £100. Evening service was then performed. The church was crowded to excess and the collections amounted to about £20. The church is situate on the side of a mountain, near its base, at the upper end of Sackville Reach, commanding a fair view of the river; it is about 16 feet above the mark of the great flood of 1867. The length of the building is 48 feet by 20 feet, including the chancel; the walls are 10 feet high, and built of solid stone; the roof is also very substantial, and the whole building reflects great credit upon the workmen employed. The inside fittings are very complete; the chancel and memorial windows are very brilliant, and display great taste, and the church will accommodate about 150 persons. [SHRB.02]


Sackville-Hawkesbury-River-Blog © 2017. All rights reserved.